Rolls-Royce Announces Virgin Atlantic's World First Transatlantic Flight with 100% Sustainable Aviation Fuel

Boeing 787, powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines, departed from London's Heathrow and landed at New York's JFK airport
  • Defensemirror.com Bureau
  • 10:45 AM, November 28, 2023
  • 433
Rolls-Royce Announces Virgin Atlantic's World First Transatlantic Flight with 100% Sustainable Aviation Fuel
Representative image. @Virgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic has conducted the first transatlantic flight utilizing 100% Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) aboard a Boeing 787 with Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines, departing from London's Heathrow and landing at New York's JFK airport.

This flight, supported by government funding, aims to showcase the feasibility of a greener approach to aviation. Despite challenges such as limited fuel supply and the need for additional technology to meet emission targets, industry leaders view SAF as a crucial tool for reducing the carbon footprint of long-haul flights.

The SAF used in this flight is a dual blend, with 88% derived from waste fats and the remaining 12% from the byproducts of corn production in the United States. While SAF still emits carbon, the industry contends that the "lifecycle emissions" of these fuels can be up to 70% lower.

Despite the higher cost of SAF compared to traditional jet fuel, industry leaders believe it is a vital step toward achieving "net zero" emissions by 2050. The UK government aims to require 10% of aviation fuel to be SAF by 2030, with plans to construct dedicated SAF plants.

While the aviation industry acknowledges the importance of SAF, experts caution that it is not a complete solution. Dr. Guy Gratton of Cranfield University sees SAF as a stepping stone toward future technologies like e-fuels and hydrogen.

The successful flight, dubbed Flight100, is the result of a year-long collaboration involving Boeing, Rolls-Royce, Imperial College London, University of Sheffield, ICF, and Rocky Mountain Institute. The research conducted during the flight will contribute to understanding SAF's impact on non-carbon emissions, contrails, and particulates.

Also Read

Boeing Selects RTX for X-66A NASA Sustainable Flight Demonstrator Project

October 4, 2023 @ 07:17 AM

British Voyager Plane refuels mid-air with Sustainable Aviation Fuel

April 18, 2023 @ 10:40 AM

British Airbus A330 Military Variant Completes World-First Sustainable Fuel Military Transporter Flight

November 19, 2022 @ 01:03 PM

Boeing Facility in Japan to Study Sustainable Aviation Fuels, Electrification

August 1, 2022 @ 11:29 AM
FEATURES/INTERVIEWS